April 6, 2014

Dinosaur Love

001

A few years ago I decided to teach a unit on dinosaurs. I had never taught dinos before and had NOTHING.

003

I started from scratch and taught myself basic facts about dinosaurs to share with my first graders. I made a unit to use and it has been one of my best sellers for the last few years.

003

This year, I decided to go bigger and I added a few new activities and went from 1 week to 2 weeks of Dino Fun in my room. {It actually kinda spilled over into 2 1/2 weeks} .Kids love to learn about dinosaurs and we had a good time. It was a win-win situation!

dinos

My dinos unit went from 37 pages to a whopping 81 pages. And sadly.. I had to take out one activity just to reduce the size of the file to get it upload on the Teachers Pay Teachers site.

You can click the picture above to see it. If you have purchased the unit before.. you get all the revisions for FREE! Just re-download. {You lucky duck!}

Here are a few picture of the things included..

009

Dictionary practice.. find the words on the dino sheet and record the page number.

058

We made these precious dinosaurs for the hall bulletin board. LOVE THEM! The patterns are included in the unit.

061

062

The bucket of plastic dinosaurs have provided tons of entertainment and fun for my first graders. They will not be happy tomorrow morning when they realize I packed them up. All of my plastic dinosaurs came from the Dollar Tree.

005021

We did a little number word stamping! There is an easier version of this stamping activity included if this one is too hard for your students.

008

And ABC order practice…

024

Counted tally marks during center time.

025029

We also practiced counting different money amounts with these “money mats”.

019083

We also did a directed drawing activity too. The steps are included in the unit.

image

I also have a Dinosaur Pinterest Board if you are interested in following it. If you have a dinosaur pinterest board.. PLEASE share it with me!

 

dinos

Here is a quick link to my unit again if you are interested…

Doodle Bugs Teaching: Dino Unit

 

 

4 comments:

  1. My next topic is dinosaurs and I too have never had this as a topic before, so this post is fantastic, will be taking a look at your dino unit too! :) Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post and your Pinterest board. I was supposed to teach dinosaurs and fossils last week and barely got to it. Your ideas will be great to use this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for shaing so many awesome ideas, both in this post and with the pinterest board! Love it!
    Jada
    Daisy Days for Learning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the "dinosaur week" activities! My pre-kers would love many of these activities with a little modifying for their ability level :) Thank you soo much for sharing!! Too cute!!
    -Jacqueline
    I is for Inspire

    ReplyDelete